Over the past 85 years, Texas Southern University has evolved from humble beginnings into one of the nation’s leading urban serving institutions.
Although Texas Southern was chartered as a state institution in 1947, its roots go back another 20 years to September 14, 1927, and the founding of Houston Colored Junior College by the Houston Independent School District. From that early start, the school moved into a four-year college in 1934 and named Houston College for Negroes.
In 1945, the college got its own Board of Regents and separated from HISD. Two years later, the Texas Legislature voted to establish a law school and a state university in Houston for Negroes. The Legislature chartered it as Texas State University for Negroes, which changed its name to Texas Southern University in 1951.