Staff Council By-Laws - Article IV
Article IV. OFFICERS
Section 1. Officers
Officers of Staff Council shall be elected by Staff Council. Officers will make up the Executive Board of the Staff Council. The Officers of the Staff Council shall be the Chair, Co-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 2. Dutiesof the Officers
- The Chair shall: (1) preside at all meetings with full authority to discuss matters before the Staff Council; (2) serve as chief spokesperson for the Staff Council; (3) ensure that projects undertaken by Staff Council are developed, organized, and implemented in an orderly and timely manner; (4) be an ex-officio member of all standing committees; (5) sign or counter-sign, in accordance with applicable Staff Council action, all contracts, minutes, agreements, and other documents, except in those instances wherein a designee has been authorized; (6) cast the deciding vote in the event of a tie; and (7) fulfill other responsibilities and duties as required.
- The Co-Chair shall: (1) preside at Staff Council meetings in the absence of the Chair; (2) assist the Chair with duties as needed; (3) become Acting-Chair, with signing authority during extended, but not permanent, absence(s) (i.e. vacation, illness, etc.) of the Chair; (4) serve as Executive Board liaison to all Staff Council committees; and (5) assume other duties as directed by Staff Council.
- The Secretary shall: (1) give notice of all meetings; (2) ensure that accurate minutes of meetings are taken, approved, archived and distributed to Staff Council members in advance of the next meeting; (3) manage the general correspondence of the Staff Council except for such correspondence assigned to others; (4) ensure that official Staff Council records, including historical archives, minutes, actions, election proceedings and membership rosters, etc. are maintained and made available when required by authorized persons; (5) conduct Staff Council meetings during the absence of the Chair and Co-Chair.
- The Treasurer shall: (1) be responsible for all financial aspects of Staff Council functions, including making any deposits to Staff Council accounts, processing purchase requisitions and purchase orders according to University policy and regulations; (2) maintain an accurate account of all receipts and expenditures; (3) verify accounting summary/detail reports from University Administrative Accounting records for Staff Council accounts; (4) reconcile such account records at least monthly; (5) report on these activities at each Staff Council meeting; and (6) submit an annual written report to the Executive Board.
Section 3. Terms of Office
- The term of office for all officer positions will be one (1) year.
- No member may hold more than one (1) office at a time, and no member shall be eligible to serve more than two (2) consecutive terms in the same office.
- Any member may be re-elected to an office which he/she held for two (2) consecutive terms after being vacant from that position for one (1) full term.
Section 4. Executive Board Vacancies
- Any Officer vacancy occurring in the Executive Board shall be filled only from the remaining Staff Council members.
- The process will be by nomination and vote of the remaining members of Staff Council.
- A member of Staff Council elected to fill a vacancy shall serve for the remaining term of the vacancy.