If you or a friend is currently in danger of harming themselves, call 911 or TSU Police
Warning Signs of Suicide
Often a suicidal person may give a sign or hint in some way that they plan to attempt suicide. Here are some warning signs and facts you should be aware of.
RECOGNIZING THE SIGNS
Have you heard someone...?
- Describe a specific plan for suicide: “I’ve thought about how I’d do it.”
- Expressing hopelessness or helplessness: “Things will never get better for me.”
- Talk positively about a suicide death: “I think she was brave for going through with it.”
- Say goodbye to important people: “You’re the best friend I’ve ever had. I’ll miss you.”
- Express a lack of interest in the future: “It won’t matter soon anyway.”
- Express a negative attitude toward self: “I don’t deserve to live.”
- Express suicidal feelings: “Lately I’ve felt like ending it all.”
Have you noticed someone...?
- Using drugs or alcohol more than usual
- Behaving differently than how they usually do
- Giving away their most valuable possessions
- Losing interest in their favorite activities or hobbies
- Planning for death by writing a will or letter
Have you felt...?
- Completely alone
*Adapted from http://www.afsp.org/preventing-suicide/risk-factors-and-warning-signs,
Additional Resources and Links
Crisis Hotline- 713-HOTLINE (468-5463)