The Third Party Billing unit of Student Accounting assists students whose attendance
at the university is sponsored by a third party such as state and federal agencies,
international embassies, military agencies, employers, or other organizations that
agree to pay all or some portion of a student’s bill. The office prepares and sends
invoices for tuition and other costs as specified by the third party.
Students sponsored by a third-party have certain responsibilities to fulfill in order
to have the third-party sponsorship applied to their student account. The student
must provide a valid authorization from their sponsor prior to the payment due date,
and renewing their authorization when needed. The student is also responsible for
paying any balance not covered by the third-party agency.
Authorization Letter/Financial Guarantee Requirements
The authorization is a document in which the third-party agency commits to pay designated
education expenses for the student.
The authorization must include:
- Student’s name and TSU ID number
- Semester or dates being covered – if the authorization is to cover more than one semester,
the effective date and expiration date should be included on the authorization; otherwise
a new authorization must be submitted each semester
- Specific charges covered, i.e., tuition, fees, housing, meal plan, parking permit,
books, etc. Also, any minimum/maximum amount the sponsor will pay
- Sponsor’s name, contact information and complete mailing address
- Signature and date from an authorized official
- How and where invoices should be submitted, i.e., postal mail, email, fax
The authorization should be submitted to:
Texas Southern University
Attn: Student Accounting
Houston, TX 77004
If for any reason the sponsor does not pay the invoice, the student will be liable
for full payment of all charges incurred.
Important Things to Know
- Upon receipt of a valid authorization, a “defer to third-party payment” flag will
be placed on the student’s account to prevent cancellation of the student’s registration
in anticipation of the pending third party payment.
- Any charges that the third party sponsor has not agreed to pay, i.e., parking fines,
it is the student’s responsibility to pay.
Invoicing for third party sponsors begins after the 12th class day for Fall and Spring
Semesters, and the 4th class day for Summer semesters.