The Environmental Career Worker Training Program (ECWTP) is designed to train unemployed and/or underemployed individuals in the Houston area in the environmental services field. The training is free and provided at Texas Southern University and other selected sites.
The ECWTP is funded through the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Since 2012, the program has been housed at the Barbara Jordan/Mickey Leland School of Public Affairs at Texas Southern University. The program here at TSU is part of the consortium which is led by the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice.
The ECWTP recruits unemployed/underemployed women and men from Houston to attend a twelve-week training program at Texas Southern University for career opportunities in the environmental or construction field. During the past four years, the program has trained over 106 women and men. The program has a 92-96% job placement rate.
Training Is Free
Training is offered in a 12-week classroom and hands-on type setting by dynamic instructors and trainers that are experts in their field. Training classes are held each January.
Type of Technical Training Offered
- Asbestos and Lead abatement worker state certification
- 40 Hour - Basic construction skills with weatherization
- 40 Hour - Hazwoper certification
- OSHA 10
- Basic Plus & Confined Space (possible)
- TWIC (possible)
- 24 Hour - Community Emergency Response Training
Potential Participants Must
- Complete application (application found below)
- Take and pass TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education)
- Individual interview
- Attend the orientation session
- Successfully complete 6 weeks of Power Skills and 6 weeks of Technical Skills
- After completing the program, students are fully certified and ready to begin work in the field
- Job placement assistance is provided
Training Program Eligibility
- Must be a Houston area resident
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be un/underemployed
- Must be drug-free
- Must read on an 8th-grade reading level
- Must speak English
- Candidates can come from any ethnic background and be male or female
- Criminal records are handled on a case by case basis
It is essential that the entire application be fully completed before it is submitted. Please email your completed application to Bertina Carter at email@example.com or Paulette Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Offices and classes held at:
Texas Southern University
3100 Cleburne St.
E.O. Bell Building B15
Houston, TX 77004