Name: Dr. E. Brown-Guillory
Title: Interim Dean
Phone: 713.313.6725
Fax: 713.313.1817
Email: Brown-GuilloryE@tsu.edu

Our Story

When Dr. John Rudley became president of Texas Southern University in 2008, he used “raising the bar” to rally TSU veteran Dr. James Douglas, new provost Dr. Sunny E. Ohia, and the university community to create “an institution of higher learning of the first class.”

The trio then tapped another TSU veteran, Dr. Thomas F. Freeman, to develop the existing Frederick Douglass Honors Program into an Honors College. Their vision and efforts bore fruit in 2009 with the launching of the Honors College, which is home to talented group of students who are preparing themselves for service as a global citizen.

The Frederick Douglass Honors Program was first funded through Title III in the fall of 1987. Under the leadership of its first directors, Dr. Patricia Williams, Dr. Sanders Anderson and Dr. Richard Pitre, and the coordination of Mrs. Linda Coach-Riley, the program sought to promote intellectual curiosity and academic achievement.