The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)
What Is TASFA:
The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is used to collect information to help determine eligibility for state financial aid programs that are administered by institutions of higher education in the state of Texas. Non-Citizens that are classified as a Texas Resident who cannot apply for federal financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are encouraged to complete the TASFA.
Who Is Eligible:
To be considered a Texas resident and to qualify for state aid, students must meet these requirements (in accordance with SB 1528):
- Reside in Texas 12 months prior to enrollment in a higher education institution.
- Graduate from a Texas High School or obtain a GED in Texas.
- Be enrolled at an institution 16 months after high school graduation.
- Have lived in Texas for 36 months prior to high school graduation.
- Sign a Notarized Affidavit of Intent to become a permanent resident.
How Do I Apply:
Step 1: Complete TASFA Application for the 21-22 academic year, by clicking here
Step 2: Gather Required Documents:
- 2019 Tax Return/Transcript and W2’s
- Complete 21-22 TASFA Application
- 2019 Tax Return/Transcript or W2’s (If employed)
- TASFA Checklist
- Notarized Affidavit
- Selective Service Registration Card (Males Only) www.sss.gov
How To Request Tax Return/Transcript:
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires you (and your spouse) and/or your parents to file a tax return if either you (or your spouse) and/or your parents meet the income thresholds established annually by the IRS. For more information regarding income thresholds, go to www.irs.gov. Request Non-Filing letter at www.irs.gov if you weren’t required to file taxes.
Check Your Status:
In order to be eligible for state assistance, you MUST be fully admitted. This program is awarded according to availability of funds and is not guaranteed. While processing your TASFA, additional documentation may be requested to complete your application. Students will be notified via email or mail.