International Students
Quick Links
  - Academic Calendar  
  - TigerConnect  
  - MyTSUweb  
  - IT Web Services  
  - Robert James Terry Library  
  - Quality Enhancement Program  

International Students

Working in the United States
Foreign Students and exchange visitors may, under certain circumstances, be allowed to work in the United States. They must obtain permission from an authorized official at their school. The authorized official is known as a Designed School Official (DSO) for students and the Responsible Officer (RO) for exchange visitors.

This pdf document provides a list of employers that have hired TSU international students in recent years.

Other Resources for international students Contains a database of American firms, all over the U.S., in all disciplines, who have known openings, are willing to, and actually offer H-1B jobs to international professionals. There is a fee to gain access to the database. - This website offers information on obtaining a U.S. Work Visa.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security - Information on Optional Practical Training (OPT)

  • Market Yourself Positively - It is very significant for International students to turn employers' objections into positives.
  • International students should be prepared to tell employers how hiring them offers more advantages than disadvantages.
  • Choose a Major/Specialization in Demand - The request for employees in technical fields, such as information technology and accounting, far dwarfs the supply.
  • Patience and Persistence - While finding employment as an International student can be challenging, it is not impossible. Each year the U.S. grants almost 200,000 H1-B visas.
  • Network with fellow students, friends and professors.
  • Become familiar with visa application processes.
  • Partaking in an internship experience could lead to a full-time, paid position.