Kappa Kappa Psi
Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity is a co-educational fraternal organization that operates exclusively in the field of collegiate and university marching bands. Founded on Thursday, November 27, 1919, by 10 founding fathers on the campus of then, Oklahoma A&M College (now named Oklahoma State University), the once small, local organization has spent the last 100 years growing into an illustrious organization with more than 50,000 members on 200 college and university campuses across the country. Members of this Kappa Kappa Psi pride themselves on dedicated service and support to bands, encouragement of musical growth, lifelong educational experiences, leadership opportunities, and recognition. The honorary nature of membership into Kappa Kappa Psi is based on our premise that “it is an honor to be selected to serve” this band, its fellow department of music, its sponsoring institution, and the cause of band in the nation’s colleges and universities.
The Gamma Omega chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity was founded on the campus of Texas Southern University on Wednesday, May 22, 1957, by 23 charter members. The Gamma Omega chapter would serve as the 96th chapter installed into Kappa Kappa Psi and more importantly, as the FIRST BLACK CHAPTER of Kappa Kappa Psi. Brothers of the Gamma Omega chapter pride themselves on being “trendsetters...to all black chapters” due to the recognition that comes attached with the chapter name. Serving the Ocean of Soul marching band, no matter what the task may be, brothers of the Gamma Omega chapter are known for “taking care of business” in the band room and in the classroom. The Gamma Omega chapter will continue to serve the Ocean of Soul and Kappa Kappa Psi for as long as there is a need for outstanding bandsmen in band!
Tau Beta Sigma
Tau Beta Sigma was founded at Texas Tech University by Mrs. Wava Banes Turner Henry. Due to corporation laws in the state of Texas at the time, however, the Texas Tech sisters surrendered their name, ritual, jewelry, constitution rituals and Alpha chapter designation in January 1946 to the local band sorority at Oklahoma State University. Tau Beta Sigma was founded at Texas Technological College (now Texas Tech University) by Mrs. Wava Banes Turner Henry.Due to corporation laws in the state of Texas at the time, however, the Texas Tech sisters surrendered their name, ritual, jewelry, constitution and Alpha chapter designation in January 1946 to the local band sorority at Oklahoma State University. The Alpha chapter of Tau Beta Sigma was installed at OSU on March 26, 1946.
The Beta Omicron Chapter of Tau Beta Sigma was under the direction of James Hill Lark Jr. filed a petition with the national office of Tau Beta Sigma National Honorary Band Sorority for colonization. The Tau Chapter of Tau Beta Sigma at the University Of Houston was assigned by the national office to assist the new colony. The National President Paula Cox Read accepted the petition and initiated 12 Charter members on April 12, 1958, as the Beta Omicron Chapter and the 63rd Chapter of Tau Beta Sigma.