The Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management is excited to welcome you back for the Fall 2020 semester. Although classes will begin online, we are looking forward to a productive and safe academic school year.
To celebrate the start of the school year, Dr. Teresa McKinney, Vice President of Student Services and Enrollment Management and Dean of Students, is hosting contests where TSU students can win prizes! Please read the contest instructions and submission details in their entirety. We look forward to a successful fall semester. Go Tigers!
We Wear Because Tigers Care - Digital Video Contest:
Tigers Care COVID-19 Safety Video is a social media competition for TSU students.
While our efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 have made a difference, it is still a serious health concern in Harris County. The best way to stop the spread of COVID-19 is by wearing a mask and practicing social distancing.
There's a lot you can do to help keep our community safe and promote public health. Artists may submit a creative and fun video showcasing COVID-19 safety by wearing a facial mask or practicing social distancing. Show your Tiger pride by customizing the mask you wear in the video.
Entries should promote and encourage COVID safety by wearing a facial mask or practicing social distancing and be unique to TSU while wearing Texas Southern gear.
Entries will be submitted on social media platform Instagram to determine the top artist. Public vote will ultimately decide the winner.
- The winner will receive a free meal plan
- Artwork featured on TSU’s social media accounts
- Public use of videos and artwork for Public Service Announcements (PSA)
- Videos must be at least 0:30 seconds and up to 2:00 minutes in length
- Upload video file as a post on Instagram
- Use the hashtag #TXSUTigersCare
- Make sure your account is public
Deadline to Submit: Wednesday, August 31, 2020
Social Justice Contest
The Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management at Texas Southern University works to promote social justice on the campus of TSU and beyond. The Social Justice Contest is an essay submission that comprises of three categories, each of which speaks to an aspect of social justice:
- Allyship -- This idea affirms that we are interdependent, that we need each other, that we have both rights and duties as members of the human family, and that we must work together for the common good of all. Inform us on the importance of allies and allyship to advance social justice.
- Academics -- Social justice education can be separated into three pillars: equity, activism, and social literacy. Each pillar works together to reach a common goal. Tell us about social justice education and its impacts on curriculum in higher education.
- Excellence in Achievement -- At Texas Southern University, we are committed to ensuring equality, offering innovative programs that are responsive to its urban setting, and transforming diverse students into lifelong learners, engaged citizens, and creative leaders in their local, national, and global communities.
The contest runs until September 7th. All essays must be submitted within this time frame and must include the following:
- A three-page minimum reflection on social justice (inclusive of the three topics)
- In submitting essays to this contest, participants allow Texas Southern University to claim rights to these essays for use in university materials, such as web-based media, printed documents, and printed displays.
In submitting essays, participants agree to the following stipulations for awarding prizes to contest winners:
- An Overall Winner
- A Runner Up
- An Honorable Mention
Prizes will be determined as follows:
- The Overall winner will receive a laptop
- The Runner Up winner will receive a Chrome Book
- The Honorable Mention winner will receive a Book Voucher to Barnes & Noble
Best of luck!
Deadline to Submit: Monday, September 7th
Tiger Pride: TSU Welcomes the Class of 2024
Show your Texas Southern University pride! Although the Fall 2020 semester will begin online, we want the TSU Class of 2024 to show their TSU pride. Take a high-resolution picture rocking your TSU gear on the first day of school, tag the university using #TXSU24, and tell us why you chose TSU to continue your education. Submit both items, picture and statement. Students who correctly enter the contest will qualify for a drawing to receive one of two book vouchers to the TSU bookstore.
- Bookstore voucher for $250
Deadline to Submit: Monday, August 24, 2020