Congratulations and welcome to this portion of your research studies! If you are at this point in your academia, you should have completed your research classes, and should be able to create a professional research request (protocol).
Prior to entering your protocol, you should, as a user, have a basic understanding of the following:
|Functional Ability||Where you can obtain assistance|
|1. Uploading/attaching documents through a browser
2. Writing a "professional-looking" research request (protocol) and associated documents
3. Accessing/saving Acrobat (PDF) files
|TSU's OIT Help Desk (713-313-HELP)
Advisor; PI's committee; department faculty
Before creating your protocol, have the following documents ready for attaching:
- Consent Form (if applicable)
- Instruments (if applicable)
- Permissions (if applicable)
- Training Certificates (if applicable)
Do not attach documents that are not requested. Give your documents appropriate filenames (i.e. for the instrument, name it survey_instrument) so the committee will be able to quickly recognize them. Only upload Microsoft Word or Acrobat files.
To assist with entering your protocol, you may view/download the flyer "Tips for Creating an Excellent Protocol".
- Obtain the IRB Protocol form. If you are not a TSU student, click here for instructions on how to submit your protocol.
- Have your documents accessible. This includes having them properly named; in addition, knowing where they are located can help entering the protocol more expediently. Remember, only Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat file types are acceptable.
- Submit the protocol and all pertinent attachments to Dr. Caspa at Njekeh.Caspa@tsu.edu.
Click on the link to see the committee (Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects (CPHS) or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)) review process, depending on the protocol type:
|Research Study (protocol contains):||Committee:|
|Secondary (pre-existing) data||CPHS|
|Survey, interview, focus group|
|Benefit Service Program|
|Consumer Acceptance Studies|
|Public Officials or Candidates for Public Office|
Texas Southern University (TSU) welcomes the opportunity to be considered for external research studies. For those persons desiring to include TSU students, faculty or staff as part of a study, the procedures are outlined here. The process is done electronically, and acceptable document file types are Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat.
- Send protocol documents to Njekeh.Caspa@tsu.edu. Click here -> for important information about documents that are required.
- There will be an initial review of documents for completeness and to ensure that all required documents have been received. If items are missing or are incomplete, an e-mail notification will be sent to the principal investigator.
- Documents will be forwarded to the appropriate committee for committee recommendation.
- If the committee recommends approval, the request is then forwarded to the Office of the Provost for approval.
- Once the Provost approves the request, a letter is prepared and sent via e-mail to the principal investigator.
- The investigator can begin the study.
Click on the link to download/complete the document.
On this page are documents and information that is designed to assist TSU investigators, both students and faculty alike. Where feasible, document templates are available for downloading and customizing for your protocol.