Pre-Arrival Information
International Admissions
Quick Links

Office of International Admissions
Bell Building 2nd Floor
3100 Cleburne St.
TSU BOX 1855
Houston TX 77004

Phone: 713-313-4229
Fax: 713-313-4380

Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Super Shuttle
Answer question represents contact us Banner

When Should you Arrive?

  • If you are entering the United States on an initial I-20, you may not enter the United States more than 30 days before the start of your program. Be sure to check the Transportation Security Agency’s (TSA) website for current travel regulations.
  • All students must arrive in time for the first day of Student Orientation.
  • If this is not possible, contact the OISA:

Arrive in Houston

Houston has two airports: Houston Bush Intercontinental and Houston Hobby.
  • It is located 25 miles north of the city
  • The airport bus service, located near the baggage claim area, runs every 30 minutes from 7:15AM-12:45AM
  • The bus goes to downtown of Houston
  • From there, students can take a taxi to the university or to a hotel near the university. Alternatively, students can travel by taxi from the airport directly to the university. Taxi fare is more expensive than the airport bus fare.
  • It is located about 12 miles south of Texas Southern University
  • Taxi service is located in the airport’s ground transportation area.
The University’s office hours are from Monday – Friday,8:00AM – 5:00PM. If your flight arrives close to or after hours, please report to the office the next business day.


The City of Houston covers an expansive area of more than 40 miles. People often say, “Without a car, you are lost in Houston.” Many areas, however, are accessible by bus. Owning an automobile is a great convenience but it may also prove to be an expensive proposition. Every driver must obtain a Texas Drivers License, and all owners of automobiles are required by Texas law to carry insurance. If you are living on campus, you do not need a vehicle.
Upon entry into U.S. the Port of Entry (POE) official should stamp your passport only, with the date, visa type and D/S (Duration of Status). The I-94 is not transmitted electronically and should be retrieved at Get I-94.

Where Can you Stay?

  • If you will be living in University housing, you may receive information about when the residence halls open.
  • Before opening the residence halls, you can consider staying at a hotel with TSU discount rates, TSU Marriott Rates. To check the exact rate, contact the hotel directly.

What should you do first?