- Vocalization to determine a range
- Singing of one prepared solo piece (2-3 minutes in length) such as an operatic aria, spiritual, art song in any language, traditional or patriotic hymn such as The Star Spangled Banner; America the Beautiful, etc.).
- Sight-singing (a short excerpt from a large choral work or a sight reading exercise)
- Testing of tonal memory
Briefinterview with hearingpanel
- All major scales (Performance majors: 4 octaves, all other tracks: 2 octaves)
- Sight reading simple pieces such as those found in the Bach “Anna Magdalena Notebook” or Bartok “Mikrokosmos” Book 2 and 3
Performance: Two contrasting pieces of a level equivalent to Bach Three Part Inventions, Beethoven Op. 49 or early Haydn, Mozart sonatas
- Other tracks: Two contrasting pieces of a level equivalent to Bach Two-Part Inventions, Mozart Viennese Sonatinas, Clementi or Kuhlau Sonatinas
- One major and one melodic minor scale of your choice (preferably 3 octaves, 2 octaves for bass)
- Two contrasting works (fast and slow). For example, a movement from a concerto and a movement of unaccompanied Bach
- Sight reading
Composition and Theory
- Portfolio of Compositions: coming soon
Possibilities: Excerpt from big band selection, bebop melody, jazz etude, transcription.
Demonstrating: tone, facility, range, style, articulation, dynamic contrast, confidence, musicality Horns/Guitar/Bass/Piano - Demonstrate an ability to execute melodies in a variety of styles
Guitar/Bass/Piano - Demonstrate an ability to comp & read figures in a variety of styles
Drums - Demonstrate an ability to play a variety of time feels & set up big band figures.
Select 1-2 pieces (can be the same as your prepared piece) to improvise over that demonstrate
Sight reading is a critical element to success within the jazz & commercial field. Excellent sight reading abilities should be demonstrated during the audition. Excerpts will be provided at the audition.
Major, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor,
Playing perfect intervals & major & minor 3rds over a drone in tune.
Aural recognition of various jazz sonorities:
Triads: Major, minor, augmented diminished
7th:: Major Major 7, Major minor 7, minor 7, half-diminished 7, fully diminished 7